Sunday, May 15, 2011

Have You Had Your Breack Today?

Because I sure did. In the form of a massive smothered steak burrito. The place? Taqueria Mi Pueblo off 23rd and Federal. For those of you not familiar with Federal, just think of it as Little Mexico. When I saw this sign outside, I knew I'd love it. Because clearly these people spend more time perfecting their cuisine than learning how to spell. Which is just fine with me. To boot, there was a "parking attendant" awaiting our arrival. He was wearing a white apron, so pretty sure he was taking a breather from cooking his colon-raping fare, but nonetheless, he ushered us into the nearest spot like a pro. No orange batons or reflective gear for this guy -- he's a true renaissance man. We'll call him Nacho. After Nacho ensured we were properly parked, he bid us adios and we headed in to stuff our faces. No waitresses here, just a counter where you look at a variety of pictures and point out what you want. My kinda place. Oh, did I mention they make wedding cakes too? Grab a steak burrito, pick up a pastel de boda, and you're f-ing set. Plus, they had the uber horrible movie "Congo" playing in Spanish on the big screen. AND it was the part where Tim Curry gets attacked after he's stealing the diamonds. "Ahhhh Dios Mio!!!!" That's actually what I said as I dug into my burrito...for two reasons: 1.) It was awesome and 2.) I could immediately tell that the food would not be residing in my belly for long. And it didn't. Thank God Nacho was still outside leaning on the car just waiting to help us get on our merry way as quickly as possible (because he knows full well us Gringos don't have the impregnable stomach walls that have been seasoned by vats of tequila and lard-laced beans). Long story short, I made it home without crapping myself. Which is really all I can ask for. So, word of advice for anyone wanting to hit up one of the Mexican places off Federal like Taqueria Mi Pueblo -- if it has something misspelled on its windows, it's bound to be good, just make sure you can access a toilet quickly and have plenty of two-ply.

3 comments:

  1. Which is better, the Breackfast Burrito or Burrito King?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Federal Blvd! how i miss you so! but more than the misspelled signs, for me, a food blog really needs pix of food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Burrito King, duh! But only after a night of serious drinking. And Noel, I'll make sure to include a pic of my meal next time :).

    ReplyDelete